Friday, June 24, 2011

Travis Quarless: Uniondale's Rising Star


Andrew Quarless kissing his Super Bowl trophy

          The year 2010 was a memorable year for the Quarless  family. Andrew Quarless , the son of SUNY Old Westbury Chemistry Professor and Uniondale native, was drafted as the 124th player, 5th round pick into the NFL by the Green Bay Packers from Pennsylvania State University. Playing as the teams tight end and as number 81, in his rookie year Quarless’ team became the 2011 Super Bowl XLVI Champions. However, Andrew isn’t the only one making moves in the Quarless family.
           I had the opportunity to talk to Travis about his future endeavors, religion, school and his love life. Born June 25, 1991, Travis is currently a sophomore and a business major at Fresno City College located in Fresno, California. Born and raised in Uniondale, Long Island NY, Travis is playing as an outside linebacker for the Fresno City College Rams’ football team as number 15, the 20 year-old is looking to having a career in the business world as well as following his older brothers’ footsteps into making it in the NFL. With football camp that started June 13th, Travis is also taking African American courses for the duration of the summer.

Travis representing the Green Bay Packers


Me: Congratulations on your brother winning the Super Bowl. How did life change after the super bowl?
Quarless: I actually got to go there, so seeing my brother accomplishing something like that and to see where he came from and to see how far he’s been, it changed my life individually as far as being there. It’s hard to describe that feeling. Seeing my brother win a super bowl in his rookie year is crazy.
Me: What’s your favorite NFL team?
Quarless: I would have to say my favorite team is the Packers, but I’m a big Jets fan, off the fact that's where I’m from.
Me: So let’s say two to three years from now you were to get drafted, what dream team you would like to play for?
Quarless: My dream team would have to be the Packers, just the feeling of being able to play with my brother. Truthfully, I’d be thankful if I get drafted in any team I go to, but as far as if I had to pick a team, it would have to be a team with my brother.
Me: What are some professional accomplishments you would like to achieve?
Quarless: I want win International Business Man of the Year. I want to become All-American but that’s not professional, that’s still college. I want to become a pro-bowler. I also take school very serious, so even if I make it into the NFL I plan to have some business ventures. I think business is going to play a role in my life either way.
What’s your favorite song out right now?
Quarless: My Last by Big Sean.
Me: One thing about you people wouldn’t expect?
Quarless: I’m quite. I’m a fun person to be around, but I like to sit back and watch what’s going on.
Me: So this is for all my girlfriends out there, are you single at the moment?
Quarless: Yea, I’m single.
Me: What do you look for in a girl?
Quarless: There are so many different qualities. She has to be down to earth, and has to have a cool personality.  I don’t like it when a girl has too much of an ego. I’m not a big looker on girls. I’m more into the inner beauty of a girl.
Me:  Are you currently looking?
Quarless: I’m focused right now. I’m not saying there’s not room for any girls right now. I’m just at a point in my life where I’m trying to take my life to the next level and I feel like if I focus on school and other things I can get through it.
Me: I heard you go to a friend of mine’s church, what are some of your favorite bible verses out there?
Quarless: My favorite bible verse would have to be Psalm 73 verse 26.
Me: What does it mean to you?
Quarless: ‘God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.’ It just assures me when I fail at something that God is always behind me. I know God is my strength and my reassurance forever.
Me: What’s your favorite gospel song?
Quarless: I’d go with Smokie Norful ‘God is Able”. I’d also go with Marvin Sapp with ‘The Best in Me’.
Me: Does the time change have a toll on you?
Quarless: The time doesn’t have too much of an effect on me. My first time was kind of crazy. My biggest problem is when I’m calling people at nine when it’s like two a.m. in New York, but I handle it pretty well.
Where do you see yourself doing in five years?
Quarless: In five years, I see myself in China doing business out there. I see myself hopefully in the league because that has always been a dream of mine, and if I keep working this hard I think I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment