Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Life In The Fastlane!

So, for those who want to know what I do for a living, besides being a student, I am a swim coach and I absolutely LOVE my job and the team I coach. I actually don't consider coaching as a job, I think of it more as a hobby. Although waking up bright and early 4am everyday to be at practice at 5am can be a bit strenuous, I look forward to coaching, pushing and motivating the kids to the best of their swimming ability.



Village of Hempstead Swimmers
 
The team that I coach is called Nu Finmen Swim Team & Village of Hempstead (that's basically one team) .August 11th, we competed in the village summer championships and we unfortunately lost first place by a mere 6 points! However, that is not the message in this post.

This post is all about doing what you love! Now in life, some people know for a fact what their purpose in life is, while others are trying to figure that out now. For those who know me or know of me you guys should know that I am a 'people's person'. I love working with people. Whether its group projects, working out or simply just doing choirs, I love working with people, which is why I seem to love my job. As a team, people accomplish more than if a person was to do something alone.



Our head coach Bob Trotman giving the team a pep talk

What gives me drive is knowning that each and everyone of these kids has potential. Although, very few of their talent may not be swimming, I know that they have a specific purpose on the team. Motivating them and giving them a pep talk coming from a sincere place has a greater effect than yelling and just telling them to go and win.

   

 
Senior girls striking a pose
 
What I also love about my job is knowing that the kids has the same drive as the coaches, which is achieving success. With success as our common denominator it makes achieving our goals easier. There are times that when a team works together so well, being number one becomes irrelevant, instead teamwork is the objective.  

Overall, whether you've received that college degree or not its all about being happy what you're doing. And the way you'll know you love what you're doing is once you stop second guessing your career choice and is looking forward to going to work and you don't consider work as work, but more as a hobby.  And I, without a doubt, is looking towards my third season with Nu Finmen! =]


Senior boys & Kyle (the short kid)
 




Senior boys celebrating their last village meet










The Senior Girls working it!
 

2 comments:

  1. that's nice! you ever teach anyone how to swim that never have before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im always teaching someone who doesn't know how to swim! But thats the best part of learning!

    ReplyDelete